Yields: 4 Servings
This tasty vegan version has plenty of lean protein, fiber, and taste to keep everyone at your BBQ satisfied and happy.
- 1 cup white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts, finely chopped
- 15-ounce can organic black lentils, drained
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp grated lime zest
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp plus 6 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Optional toppings: sliced cucumbers, tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- For Vinaigrette: In a small bowl, combine the cilantro, lime juice, lime zest, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; whisk in 2 tablespoons oil in a slow, steady stream.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the remaining oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, and cumin and cook about 4 to 5 minutes. Add walnuts.
- In a food processor, combine the lentils and rice and pulse until roughly chopped; add to the mushrooms. Add the parsley, salt and pepper and mix.
- Make four 1/2-inch-thick patties out of the mixture.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 4 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Cook burger, flipping once, until browned and cooked through, about 9 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer to serving dishes and top with the cilantro vinaigrette and any of the optional garnishes.