Yields: 4 servings
This hearty, savory Italian soup has plenty of tasty, nutritious vegetables, as well as beans and quinoa pasta for added fiber and protein.
- 4 tsp Malaysian red palm fruit oil or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 medium fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 cups organic low-sodium vegetable broth
- 14.5-ounce can diced roasted tomatoes
- 3 oz. quinoa or lentil pasta shells
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed(no salt added)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, basil, and oregano; simmer, stirring periodically, until the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, basil, and oregano begin to soften, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the fennel and zucchini and cook for 3 more minutes
- Add the broth and tomatoes, bring to a boil, then lower to medium-low heat. Cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the veggies are crisp-tender.
- Stir in the pasta, reduce to a low heat, and cook for about 8 minutes, or until the pasta is almost tender.
- Add the spinach and beans, return to a simmer, and cook for 3 minutes, or until cooked through.